Earlier this week, the postdocs in the QAECO lab presented a short talk about their academic life: past research, current research and future aspirations. Limited to three powerpoint slides and eight minutes, it was an interesting exercise in brevity and finding ways to clearly communicate the major themes of your research.
My research history hasn’t really followed any obvious themes. In fact, it’s really been driven by a series of happy accidents and crap-portunities*. I started out as a field ecologist; studying the habitat use of freshwater fish, and working as a ranger for the Department of Conservation managing threatened bird species. This was followed by more freshwater fish research, this time on rainbow trout in the United States, before I veered off (due to a crap-portunity) into the mysterious world of modelling (of the mathematical kind). This fortuitous deviation led to an investigation of the sustainability of harvesting shovelnose sturgeon for caviar for my Masters and greatly influenced my research interests. Returning to NZ, more ranger work for DOC led to a PhD looking at ways to improve the effectiveness of whio conservation: a glorious combination of fieldwork with spatial, demographic and population modelling.
Another happy accident saw me end up at Landcare Research, where I became the person that analysed all the random data living in the bottom of people’s filing cabinets. I investigated the effects of removing livestock from high country farmland, modeled disease transmission in Tasmanian devils, and looked for relationships between rabbit breeding and grass growth. A short break in contracts provided an opportunity to do volunteer work in Antarctica. This led to three seasons monitoring Adélie penguins and skua; and research looking at the effects of environmental conditions on Adélie penguin chick condition and the relationship between skua populations and penguin density. I also spent time estimating the number of burrow-nesting petrels across a group of islands by identifying relationships between burrow density and habitat, burrow occupancy and breeding success. And I briefly branched out into scary maths when I constructed a virtual model of masting trees to assess the impacts of herbivory.
I summarised all this in my talk by producing a word-cloud (in R because that’s how I roll) that showed the relative importance of keywords from each of these projects (and some pretty pictures of my study subjects to keep people interested).
So I guess you could say the central themes of my research to date are the management and conservation of populations threatened by invasive pests. There will almost certainly be modelling involved, probably in (but not limited to) R, and I’d be keen on doing some fieldwork if possible. I’m good at sorting out your horribly stored dataset (although I’d rather not) and I can put my hand to most forms of analysis (provided it is google-able and preferably done in R). I’m currently branching out into yet another new field: conservation planning in the face of regional and urban development in the QAECO lab at the University of Melbourne but that’s another story for another time.
* When new opportunities arise out of the shitty things that happen.